Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Puch DS 50



Here's a neat bike I hadn't seen before- the Puch DS50. I found this pic over at Walter's Autowerkstatt, which appears to be the web site of a German auto service organization. As far as I have been able to determine, the DS50 was made from the mid-1950s up through the 1960s. It was sort of a motorcycle/scooter hybrid (not unlike the Honda Cub); note the moped/motorcycle pressed steel style frame and the scooter-like mud guard and floor. It also had a very scooter-ish 3-speed transmission with a hand-operated shifter. It seems to be a modification of earlier Puch bikes like the VS-50 series, which were almost identical but lacked the mudguard/floor.

These must have been extremely popular in Europe- I found 15,000 Google hits, with only a few dozen being in the US. I did find one other DS50 at Mopedarmy.com, in slightly better condition.

1 comment:

refrigman said...

This was also available in early 60s from Sears as an Allstate compact. Otherwise identical. I had one from December '64 till early '66. I rode it several times from Washington, D.C. to New York. Once from Glen Burnie, Md. where my car had died, to Staten Island WITH A PASSENGER! Had to walk it across the Delaware Memorial Bridge as it was too slow to ride there. Going through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel virtually as a hood ornament for an 18 wheeler was scary.